One of the most celebrated Italian desserts is Tiramisu- an elegant and rich layered Italian dessert that combines diverse ingredients, resulting in an intense yet refined dish. The delicate flavor of layers of mascarpone and Italian custard are contrasted with the darkly robust presence of espresso and sharpness of cocoa powder.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Refrigeration: 8-10 hours
Strong Espresso Coffee (at room temperature) ½ Cup
Dark Rum ½ Cup
Eggs (Separated) 5 Nos
Powdered Sugar ¾ Cup
Lady Fingers Cookies 35-40 Nos
Whipped Cream 1 Cup
Cocoa Powder 3 Tbsp
Mascarpone Cheese 200 Gm
- Prepare a double boiler- Heat water in a flat pan and place a heat-proof bowl in it. Whisk together sugar and the egg yolks into this bowl, until a creamy consistency is achieved and the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove the bowl from the boiler and let it cool.
- Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl for about 5-6 mins.
- Whisk the whipped cream separately until soft peaks are formed for 5-6 mins.
- Add the Mascarpone Cheese to the bowl of yolk and sugar mix (in step 2).
- Mix together the egg yolks/ sugar, whipped cream and egg whites. Use a spatula to fold in everything together. Be gentle. This will become a custard.
- Gently stir together coffee and rum with a spoon. Briefly soak the ladyfinger cookies in this.
- Arrange half of soaked ladyfinger cookies in the bottom of a 7×11 inch dish. Spread half of the custard (from step 6) over the cookies. Repeat layers and sprinkle with cocoa.
- Cover and refrigerate 8-10 hours or overnight, until set.