Hot soup on a windy, balmy day is a godsend. The tang from the tomatoes, the velvety softness of the cream, the earthy aroma of the basil, the hint of spice and the subtle crunch from the almond shavings make it an elementary but robust dish. Pair this with buttered warm bread and it becomes a wholesome meal.
4-5 medium size tomatoes
Handful of basil leaves
1tsp Salt (Adjust as per your taste)
1 tsp Crushed Pepper (Adjust as per your taste)
1/2 tsp Sugar (Optional)
1tbsp Tomato Ketchup (Optional)
Pinch of Powdered Cinnamon
Pinch of Nutmeg
4-5 Chopped Almond
1) Wash the tomatoes and dip them in a bowl of boiling water for one hour.
2) Remove the skin and dice them into bug pieces.
3) Heat a wok and add 1 tbsp butter
4) Once butter has melted add in diced tomatoes, basil leaves and crushed almonds. Cook the mixture for 3-4 mins.
5) Remove from the flame and let the mixture cool down.
6) Once cooled, pulse the mixture in a blender to a thick puree.
7) Reheat the blended mixture in a pan. Donot add any oil/butter at this stage.
8) Add salt, pepper, Cinnamon, Nutmeg powder, Sugar and Ketchup and let it simmer for 5-6 mins.
9) Turn off the heat and garnish with cream/almond flakes/chopped coriander or basil leaves. Pair it with a warm buttered bread toast or any salad of your choice